Dr. Julian Sernik specializes in lower extremity trauma and reconstruction. He performs primary and revision hip and knee replacements. For his hip surgeries he uses the Direct Superior Approach which is a modern muscle sparing procedure enabling rapid recovery. His knee replacements are performed without the use of cement where appropriate, which reduces the surgical time significantly.
Dr. Sernik is happy to see the full spectrum of Foot and Ankle concerns. He performs minimally invasive (small incision or ‘keyhole’) surgery for a wide variety of concerns including ankle arthritis, achilles tendon repair and bunion surgery. These techniques lead to more rapid recovery than traditional techniques in many cases.
Dr. Sernik moved to Vernon from Cranbrook where he lived and practiced for 6 years. He is interested in health care system redesign and physician leadership. He held the position of Regional Medical Advisory Committee chair while living in the East Kootenays. When not occupied with his health care interests, he can be spotted riding his horse or his mule and occasionally a mountain bike or a paddleboard. In winter he enjoys skiing both at ski resorts and in the backcountry. He adores his wife and two daughters.
- Navig8 Emerging Physician Leadership Program. Interior Health Authority. 2019-2020
- Physician Leadership Program. Sauder School of Business/UBC. 2017
- Fellowship in Arthroplasty, Foot and Ankle and Trauma Surgery. Sunnybrook/University of Toronto. 2012-2013
- Residency in Orthopedic Surgery. University of Alberta. 2007-2012
- Doctor of Medicine. UBC. 2003-2007
- Undergraduate studies in Pharmacology. UBC. 2000-2003
- Higher School Certificate. Sydney, Australia 1992